Brownies, are my husband’s favorite sweets! Ever since we got married he has been asking for me to bake it. I had no idea how to make brownies, the only brownies I ever had were from café coffee day, even if I made them I would not be able to tell if they come out right. So I asked him how he likes his brownies; ‘uhmm… like solid hot chocolate but not rock hard uhmm.. they should taste good’. You see that explanation did not help, then I went to internet. Most of the recipe’s main ingredient was dark chocolate, now it is not like that I don’t like chocolate but it is a costly affair, also this was not available at home. Which made me search for recipes with cocoa powder and luckily I stumbled to Smitten Kitchen. By this time I knew how I want my brownies to be; shiny, chocolaty (extra), chewy and cracked top!
- Cocoa powder – 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp
- Flour – 1/2 cup
- Granulated sugar – 1 1/4 cups
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Unsalted butter – 10 tbsp
- Eggs – 2 large, cold
- Vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
- Crushed walnut – 2/3 cup
- Preheat oven at 162 ⁰ C. Line square (8 inch) baking pan with foil, put pan upside down and cover it with kitchen foil press firmly to get the exact shape of pan. Now line the foil inside of pan leaving extra foil on side to make handles. This will help in taking the brownie out of pan easily after it is baked.(I did not have square pan, I used 9 inch round cake pan)
- Make a double boiler; place the mixing bowl on top of sauce pan filled with simmering water. Make sure water doesn’t touch the mixing bowl.
- Add butter in mixing bowl and once it is melted add sugar, cocoa, and salt. Mix till all ingredients are combined together
- Let the mixture be on double boiler till it is hot(to test smitten kitten suggests dipping your finger and checking if it burns 😀 , which means takeout as quickly as possible ). It took approx. 15 minutes for me
- Let the mixture cool down until it is warm, add vanilla and eggs (one at a time), stir with wooden spoon until shiny
- Now add flour and stir till the white flour is not visible
- Add walnuts
- Spread on foil lined pan and shove into the lower rack of oven, set the timer for 30 minutes. Do the toothpick test by inserting it in the brownie to check if it comes out clean, if yes the brownie is done if not bake for another 5-10 minutes. (mine took 35 minutes)
- Let them cool , afterwards cut in square shape and decorate with chocolate sauce if require
But you see husband wanted hot brownies and I also couldn’t wait for them to cool and cut, this happened!
How do you like your brownies? Hot, soft, gooey, sticky…?
This recipe is adapted from Smitten Kitchen