It’s been so long, believe me, I tried to be back soon but something* came up.
Now that I’m here I am going to note down the yummiest sweet one could make with carrots; Gajar Ka Halwa by Dad. Why Dad? Talk about that after recipe…
Makes enough for 2-3 days for a couple.
- Red Carrots – 1 kgs
- Milk – 1 liter
- Sugar – 250 grams
- Cardamom – 2-3 pods (seeds)
- Ghee/Butter – 2 tbsp
- Assorted Dry fruits – 1/4 cup (raisins, almonds, cashews)
Note: You can change the quantity of this recipe by using the proportion; Quantity of carrot in kilograms equals the quantity of milk in liters, and sugar is usually 1/4 of carrot weight(also depends on how sweet one likes the sweet 😛 )
- Grate carrots
- In a heavy bottom pan/sauce pan, add milk and grated carrots. Boil carrot and milk together till there is no milk left. Continuously stirring if on high flame or you can leave it on medium flame and stir now and then, just to make sure it doesn’t burn and stick to bottom
- After the mixture is thick(when all milk in gone in air) add sugar. Sugar will release water and the mixture will again become thin, which should be cooked until there is no liquid left(stirring is important)
- Temper carrot mixture with ghee and cardamom. In a separate small pan, fry cardamom seeds in ghee and pour on carrot mixture
- Garnish with sliced/cut assorted dry fruits and indulge!
- Can be stored in refrigerator up-to a week
Winter always called for Gajar Ka Halwa, it is mandatory to make this at least once every winter. Dad always made this for us; one cause he loves cooking(now and then) and two grating carrots is too much of work for Mom. There were days when we woke up in morning and were presented with Gajar Ka Halwa in breakfast, Dad always cooked this in night, like overnight magic.
This is the basic version of recipe, most people like adding Khoa to enhance richness of flavor. If you wish you can add khoa after Halwa is cooked and off flame, but still hot and give it mix, just before garnishing.
That something is Dexter. I watched two seasons before marriage, since that I had time between two jobs(leaving old and joining new) I wanted to make a lot of posts and schedule them for every week, but thanks to starting with Dexter season three I couldn’t stop. And now that I’m on final season (SE08 E09) I’m sad that it is going to end and dreading the finale which has been criticized widely.